Waiting tower near Albisheim
Northwest of Albisheim, high on the ridge of the Wingertsberg, stands the Wartturm. It was built in the Middle Ages to monitor two important trade and traffic routes: the Franconian road that ran through the Zellertal valley and the army road that led via Göllheim, Hungerberg and Osterberg towards the Rhine.
The Albisheim watchtower is a round tower, it is 10 meters high and has a diameter of 3 meters. It is built of quarry limestone and closes at the top with a white plastered crenellation. Behind it there is a platform that allows a wide view. The Wartturm was first mentioned in a document in 1551. It was a fortified building - not only for Albisheim as a market town and fixed place. It was probably also in visual contact with other defense towers, as part of an observation and early warning system. Similar towers are preserved on the Schillerhain near Kirchheimbolanden or on the Wartberg near Alzey. They could transmit signals to each other and warn of enemies. This was possible via smoke and fire signals, but also via optical marks such as colored discs made of wickerwork or by raising a basket or kettle. In this way, the inhabitants of the villages could be alerted in time to bring their belongings to safety.
Over the centuries, the Albisheimer Wartturm was repeatedly exposed to weather and war damage. In the 19th century, the people of Albisheim took care of an extensive restoration. In 1862, the successful completion was celebrated. And with it the tradition of the Wartturmfest was established. In 1977, lightning struck the tower again. The people of Albisheim again lent a helping hand. For many years, the volunteer fire department of the municipality has taken over the sponsorship of the Wartturm. The tower can be reached year-round via the Nibelungen hiking trail from Albisheim (yellow square) and from the hikers' parking lot on the B47